How does Hypnotherapy work?
Because Hypnotherapy and NLP focus on effecting change at an unconscious level. There are extremely helpful methods in relieving problems in our thoughts, behaviour and attitudes, within ourselves and our lives.
The reasons why hypnotherapy and NLP are so effective at helping us change, as the problems or issues we are experiencing, reside at an unconscious level. It is the unconscious part of our mind that is responsible for our beliefs, feelings, emotions and behaviours. It’s our unconscious mind that is responsible getting us deeply absorbed in the erroneous or negative patterns of thinking, behaving and relating to others that are often the primary symptoms of our problems
- Hypnotherapy and NLP, differ from other forms of therapy, becuase they help us change at a deeper level with greater ease and efficiency.
- The problems or issues we are experiencing, reside at an unconscious level.
- It is the unconscious part of our mind that is responsible for our beliefs, feelings, emotions and behaviours.
- It’s our unconscious mind that is responsible getting us deeply absorbed in the erroneous or negative patterns of thinking, behaving and relating to others that are often the primary symptoms of our problems.
- Hypnosis distracts the conscious mind enabling access our unconsciousness mind to generate meaningful and transformative changes. Our conscious attention isn’t required for such changes to take place.
Dr Leonard Orr postulated that the human mind behaves as if it were divided into two parts, the Thinker and the Prover.
The Thinker can think about virtually anything. History shows that it can think that the Earth is hollow, or that the Earth is floating in space; comparative religion and philosophy show that Thinker can regard itself as mortal, as immortal, as both mortal and immortal (the reincarnation model) or even as non-existent. It can think itself into living in a Christian universe, a shamanic universe, a Marxist universe, a scientific-relativistic universe - among many possibilities.
The thinker can think himself sick, and can even think himself well again.The Prover is a much simpler mechanism. It operates on one law only: Whatever the Thinker thinks; the Prover proves.
If the Thinker thinks that the sun moves around the earth, the Proves will obligingly organize all perceptions to fit that thoughts; if the Thinker changes its mind and decided the earth moves around the sun, the Prover will reorganize the evidence.
If the Thinker thinks "holy water" from Lourdes will cure lumbago, the Prover will skillfully orchestrate all signals from the glands, muscles, organs, etc. until they have organized themselves into good health again.
Of course, it if fairly easy to see that other people's minds operate this way; it is comparatively much harder to become aware that one's own mind is working that way also.
It is believed, for instance, that some men are more "objective" than others.Scientists, are still believed to be objective. No study of the lives of the great scientists will confirm this. They were as passionate, and hence as prejudiced, as any assembly of great painters of great musicians.
Orrs Law: "Whatever the Thinker thinks, the Prover will prove."
Citied in Robert Anton Wilson : Promethus Rising